An official website of the Mecklenburg County government
Official County websites use MeckNC.gov
MeckNC.gov websites belong to official departments or programs of the Mecklenburg County government.
Secure MeckNC.gov websites use HTTPS
A lock (
) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to a MeckNC.gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.
Rabies Alert and Guidance for the Summer
Process if a domestic dog/cat/ferret bites someone
1. CMPD-ACC will contact the bite victim to collect information about the incident.
2. CMPD-ACC will contact the biting animal owner to get: vaccination status, incident information.
3. It is up to the discretion of the officer to allow a Home Quarantine. Depending on the level of the bite and rabies vaccine status, most bite incidents result in the animal being allowed to stay at home under a strict 10-day quarantine.
4. Report is completed and sent to Health Dept.
5. Health Department Epi contacts victim for assessment either phone or letter.
6. After a successful 10day quarantine and animal is healthy, biting animal is ………….
Common places/scenarios people get bit by unknown animals
Dog parks (e.g., breaking up dog fights).
Walking in the neighborhood.
What to do if you get bit by an animal
Try to get the owner’s information. Exchange contact information.
Try to convey to the owner that CMPD-ACC will not take their animal away from them or be euthanized. Educate them on the process.
Call 311 (during the week) or 911 (after business hours or weekend) to put a service call in for Animal Care and Control.
What to do if YOUR dog/cat/ferret bites someone
Give your contact information to the bite victim. Give address and phone number.
Be kind and avoid confrontation.
If bite victim calls 311/911, wait until an officer arrives. Even though you might not have your rabies certificates the officer will provide you a time and process to submit the certificate or contact your veterinarian if you do not have it.
Please know that someone who gets bitten and the owner runs off will be recommended PEP, which can range from $4,000-20,000. Please be compliant and patient during this process.
Depending on the level of bite and status of rabies vaccine, most likely you will be provided to home quarantine. Children are commonly a bite victim.
What to do around Pets
Teach your child how to approach an unknown dog.
Hugs to a dog/cat are not the same to humans. Teach no hugging.
If your dog has food aggression/cage aggression/shaky temperament or unfamiliar dog is around your child, do NOT leave your child unattended around the animal.
Children are more eye level with animal, bites are often more severe as a result.
Avoid dog parks. Animals are still animals. Sometimes a small reaction can create aggression and pack mentality among dogs.
Do not use retractable leashes.
If passing on the greenway/sidewalk, leave a very wide space to allow them to pass or go into the grass to allow the other to pass.
DO NOT TOUCH unknown animals/feral cats/wild animals.